Federal Bank has launched ‘Launchpad', an exclusive outlet for start-ups. ‘Launchpad' is a one stop facility providing a range of advisory services in addition to customized banking offerings to budding entrepreneurs who wish to set up start-up ventures in diverse sectors like Digital Financial Services, Biotechnology, Hi-Tech Farming, Healthcare, Logistics, E-Commerce/E-Markets etc.
Federal Bank entered into a strategic partnership with Phillip Capital (India) Pvt. Ltd., a subsidiary of the Singapore headquartered Phillip Capital group, for providing Portfolio Investment Scheme (PIS) services to NRIs.
- Federal Bank launched Payment Gateway facility for KSEB electricity Bill payment.
- Bank introduced Missed call based banking services for Fund transfer.
- Bank introduced Missed call based banking services for Mobile Recharge.
- Bank won three awards: won the Skoch Smart Technology Award 2015 for FedBook Selfie, Banking Frontiers Inspiring Work place Award in the category ‘Best HR and Talent Practice' among Private sector Banks and ET Best Corporate Brand 2016 Award.
- Federal Bank bags IDRBT Award for Digital Banking, Analytics and Big Data in mid-sized Banks Segment.
- Bank became the first Bank to introduce Currency Conversion Desk and mobile ATM facility at the Cochin Port, facilitating passengers of cruise ships to exchange currency upon arrival.
- Bank introduced Missed call based banking services for Balance Enquiry and Mini Statement
- Federal Bank became the second Bank to open an International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) Banking Unit (IBU) in Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City).
Federal Bank and SBI Card announced their collaboration to launch Federal Bank-SBI co-branded credit cards. Through this alliance Federal Bank launched two new variants of Visa credit cards for its customers, namely Platinum and Gold ‘N More.
Federal Bank joined hands with Startup Village in Kerala and MobME wireless to launch India's first focused FinTech Accelerator Programme, a unique programme that aims at speeding up technological innovations in the financial sector space.
Federal Bank launched VConnect - an exclusive video conference facility that enables customers to interact with Bank's Relationship Managers face to face from any part of the world.
Federal Bank opened its first International Standard 24 X 7 Banking facility christened Federal Experience Center on 21st November 2014 at Nedumbassery, Kochi.
- Federal Bank won the prestigious IDRBT Banking Technology Excellence Award 2013-14 in 4 categories in Mid sized banks segment - Best Bank for Use of Technology for Financial Inclusion, Best Bank for Social Media and Mobile Banking, Best Bank for Business Intelligence Initiatives and Best Bank for Best IT Team.
- Bank added 11 branches and 43 ATMs during the quarter to take the tally to 1214 branches and 1435 ATMs as at September 30, 2014.
The Bank continued to expand its footprint and added 29 branches and 33 ATMs during the quarter to take the tally to 1203 branches and 1392 ATMs as on June 30, 2014.
- Federal Bank won the Greentech HR Award 2014 during the quarter for its Innovative practices in Recruitment.
- Bank received the Finacle Client Innovation Award - 2014 for the category "HIGHLY COMMENDED PRODUCT AND DISTRIBUTION INNOVATION" from Infosys for its innovative Mobile based passbook - 'FedBook'.
- The Bank also won the ACI Excellence Award 2014 in the category "Customer Service".
- Federal Bank won Finacle Client Innovation Award 2014
- The Bank continued to expand its footprint and added 32 branches and 47 ATMs during the quarter to take the tally to 1174 branches and 1359 ATMs as on March 31st, 2014.
- Bank's total number of branches crossed 1150.
- "Fed Cradle" - the Day care facility launched by the Federal Bank exclusively for the children of the employees of the bank was inaugurated on 3rd February 2014 at Aluva
- Federal Bank won MasterCard Innovation Award 2014
Federal Bank won ACI Excellence Award 2014 for the category "Customer Service". Bank leveraged ACI's BASE24 to develop its Card Online Management and Inquiry Tool (COMIT) service, which enables the bank to better address customer demand for managing card parameters.
Federal Bank won the Banking Frontier's Finnoviti 2013 Award for its innovative Virtual Accounting System (VAS).
Federal Bank won IBA Innovation Award 2013 for FedBook, the mobile passbook application.
- Federal Bank honoured with the prestegious Golden Peacock Award 2013 for HR Excellence.
- Federal Bank celebrates 68th Founder's day on 18th October 2013.
- Bank launched FedBook, the first electronic passbook launched by a bank in India. FedBook is a mobile app through which customers can view their passbook details.
- Federal Bank was awarded the "Most Socially Committed Organization" Award.
- Bank enabled mobile and handheld device compatible version of website.
- Bank entered into a tie up with Tata Communications Payment Solutions Ltd (TCPSL) for acting as the sponsor bank for white label ATM's to be deployed by TCPSL. Federal Bank is the first bank in India to be the sponsor bank for White Label ATM's.
Bank introduced Value Added Services (Travel, Tax Advisory Service) to NRI customers through website.
Bank revamped its Corporate website to a portal based platform, offering new features to customers.
- Bank became the proud recipient of 7th INDY'S Awards for "Developing Sustainable Strategies" for its contribution as an organisation which have made a difference to the people and the community and for playing a role of responsible citizen.
- Inauguration of Federal Bank's 3rd Currency Chest at Mumbai
- Bank's prestigious branch at Lulu Mall was inaugurated by Padmashree M A Yusuffali, MD –Lulu Group in the presence of Banks' top officials including MD & CEO.
- Federal Bank's "Money Exchange Bureau" was inaugurated at Trivandrum International Airport
- Federal Bank has won Mastercard Innovation Award for the Cash Passport Travel Card under Prepaid Programme Category.
- ‘Yuva Beacon' - the career advisory program launched by Federal Bank in association with SB Global Trust which started from Kannur on 17th August 2012 could successfully cover 75 schools spread across 10 districts covering about 10000 students.
- Federal Bank crosses 1 Lakh Crore of Total Business at the end of financial year 2012-13.
- Federal Bank launched its "Online Religious Offering Services Bouquet" in association with the prestigious Sree Padmanabhaswami Temple, Thiruvananthapuram.
- Shri Jolly Antony, GM- HR was presented with the prestigious HR Leadership Award at the Human Capital Summit 2012 held at Hyderabad on 7th December 2012.
- Federal Bank was the main sponsor of Navy Fest, the annual fair associated with Navy Day celebrations is being held at Naval Base Kochi.
- The total employee strength of the bank crossed 10000.
- The bank won ACI Excellence Award 2012 for 2 of its projects. One was the project of bringing unbanked rural folk to the banking fold and facilitating their transactions through the unique identification number and biometric information with the help of and in partnership with Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). The second was the implementation for the first time in India of the Visa Personal Payments service that allows Visa Debit cardholders to receive domestic and cross-border remittance payments in near real-time.
- The Bank was appointed as the Official Banker for the One Day International between India and England to be held at Kaloor International Stadium on 15th January 2013.
- The Bank's first Bulk Note Acceptor (BNA) , a Cash Deposit Machine which enables customers to deposit cash which is credited instantly in their accounts.
- Creating awareness on Breast Cancer was a featured program of Bank's Founder's day celebrations. Pink Walkathon - an awareness march on breast cancer, participated by Federals and students from Kochi city schools and colleges was a highlight on the occasion. The Walkathon was flagged off from Federal Towers, Marine Drive and ended at Rajendra Maidan where a public meeting was also held.
- Shri. Jolly Antony, General Manager (HR) received IPE HRM Congress HR Leadership Award at 11th Asia Pacific HRM Congress 2012 at Bangalore.
- Federal Bank achieved top most position in IMPS campaign held during 13th August to 31st August 2012 conducted by IBA.
- Federal Bank received the IDRBT (Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology) Excellence Awards for the year 2011-12 and the Bank has won awards in two categories: Best Bank Award among Small Banks for ‘Mobile Banking and Electronic Payments' and Best Bank Award among Small Banks for ‘CRM and Business Intelligence Initiatives'.
- Federal Bank sponsored the Perfect Partnership Award - India Vs Srilanka Series- 2012.
- Federal Bank conducted a blood donation campaign as part of its Corporate Social Responsibility activities with employee participation, pan India.
- Federal Bank opened its 1000th branch at Tiruvalla Muthoor
- Federal Bank made tie up with Manipal Global Education services for offering one year Post graduate diploma in Banking and Finance. On successful completion of this residential program, candidates are awarded with a Post Graduate Diploma in Banking and Finance,by Manipal University and are absorbed as Probationary Officers in the Bank itself.
- Federal Bank was listed among the index stocks that outperformed the BSE 100 index
- Bank launched IMPS, the instant interbank fund transfer service through mobile phone by which the amount is instantly credited to the account of the beneficiary.
- Banks' 10th Federal Ashwas Financial Literacy and Credit Counselling Centre (FAFLCC ) was inaugurated at Chungathara, Malappuram District
- Bank adopted 8 tribal schools in Idukki and Waynad districts as part of its financial inclusion program.
- Federal Bank formally launched 100 branches on a single day, pan India, taking the total number of branches 935.
- Bank won the most coveted Golden Peacock Award for its CSR activities.
- Federal Bank received Global CSR Award for "Best Corporate Social Responsibility Practice Overall"
- Bank's Islampur branch became the first branch to implement ICT model Financial Inclusion product ‘FedJyothi' in Maharashtra.
- As per Fortune India 500 survey-2011, Federal Bank ranks 187th in terms of Revenue, 113th in terms of Net Worth, 147th on the Net Profit front.
- Bank won the Kerala Management Association's awards for Excellence in In-house Magazine & Innovative Cost Management Measures Implemented
- Two of Bank's prestigious projects, Visa Money Transfer using Visa Debit Cards & Federal Bank`s Aadhaar (UID) Based Authentication for Payments were awarded prestigious ACI Excellence Awards 2012.
- Bank launched Fast Biz Visa International Business Debit Card to SME/Corporate Clients
Bank signed Inward Remittance Agreement with Samba Bank, one of the largest banks in KSA.
- Bank launched its second 24*7 Customer Care Contact Centre manned by differently able people.
- Bank received the memento for providing banking channel in all the 13 villages allotted to the Bank for implementing Financial Inclusion program during the declaration function of Total Financial Inclusion of Kerala held at Trivandrum.
- Bank opened 66 branches across the length and breadth of the nation on the occasion of bank's 66th Founders Day on 18th October, 2011.
- Dr. C. Rangarajan ,Ex Governor, Reserve Bank of India and Chairman - Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister delivered the Fedbank Hormis Memorial Lecture for the year.
- Launch of FedDelight, the bank's unique gift card.
- Launch of Fed Pravasi Oriental Insurance for NRI Patrons
- Federal Bank had been ranked 497th in the world by the THE BANKER, the international financial affairs publication edited from London in their July 2011 edition.
- The Bank received the IDRBT Best Bank Award for the year 2010-11, in the IT category for internal effectiveness among small Banks.
- Federal Bank launched general insurance cover for the customers for stabilizing the relationship with the clients.
The first Gram Jeevan Branch at Thuruthy Vengoor West was inaugurated by Shri. P. C. Cyriac.
Federal Reach, the in house publication from the Bank received the Kerala Management Association Excellence Award for the Best Corporate Magazine published /received during the calendar year 2010
Ms. Suma Varma, Regional Director ,RBI, Kerala & Lakshwadeep inaugurated the Bank's financial inclusion product FEDJYOTHI and released FEDJYOTHI smart cards at Alapuzha on 18th December 2010
- Mr. Shyam Srinivasan has taken charge as 8th MD &CEO of Federal Bank
- Federal Bank had the rare privilege to become the official partner to the one day international cricket match between India & Australia.
From 24.08.2010, the joint venture IDBI FORTIS renamed as IDBI FEDERAL
- Total number of branches crossed 700
- Launched Debit Cards in association with MasterCard
- Received the Finanacial Express-India's Best Banks Award 2009-10
Federal Bank became part of National Financial Switch ATM Network – the largest ATM network in India
Launched Point Of Sale (POS) Terminal Business
- Bank has taken an important step in customer Service by dedicating 24 X 7 Contact Center to the customers. Started offering NEFT/RTGS facility through Internet Banking. Bank started offering Telebanking facility through a Toll-free number
- Launched three new variants of Visa Debit Cards – Platinum, Gold and Shop'n Save.
- Total Business of the Bank crossed Rs.50,000/- Crores
- Bank becomes BASEL-II compliant
Bank won the award under category 'Best Customer Relationship Achievement' in the Banking Technology awards 2008 instituted by IBA, Infosys & TFCI for the outstanding achievements in technology infusion and dissemination. The Bank was winning IBA-TFCI awards for the fourth time
Bank started providing Online Stock Trading facility to the customers in association with M/s Geojit Financial Services
- Bank's Total No. of Branches crossed 600
- The Asian Banker, together with the Technology Advisory Council of The Asian Banker Summit, has affirmed Federal Bank as sole recipient of the Best Core Banking Project Award 2007.
- Successfully completed 1:1 Rights Issue
- Opened first overseas Representative Office at Abu Dhabi, UAE.
All branches/offices of the Bank were migrated to Centralised Banking Solution (CBS), Finacle
Bank formed a Centralized Processing Centre for centralizing the account opening process to make it quick and efficient.
A full fledged Data Center was set up by the Bank
Bank won the award under category "Best Clearing & Settlement System" in the Banking Technology Awards 2006 instituted by IBA, Infosys & TFCI.
Bank entered into Life Insurance Joint Venture with IDBI & FORTIS
- Amalgamation of Ganesh Bank of Kurundwad with Federal Bank
- Bank's Total No. of Branches crossed 500.
Federal Bank wins two prestigious awards for BEST USE OF IT IN RETAIL BANKING & BEST PAYMENTS INITATIVE from IBA and TFCI. This is the second consecutive time that the Bank has won the award for best use of IT in Retail Banking. More details available here
Federal Bank becomes the first traditional bank to successfully issue GDR. While the issue of 18 million Global Depository Receipts realised $71.46 million, the green shoe option of 2 million GDR was also fully subscribed, bringing in a total of $80 million to the bank. The GDR, each representing an underlying equity share, were priced at $3.97 each — working out to approximately Rs.175 per share. The issue was subscribed by major banks and Financial Institutions across the globe.
Federal Bank in association with AMRITA super specialty hospital launches Fed+Amrita, an innovative online system for fixing medical consultation, Health check up, and inpatient payments from anywhere.
Shri.M Venugopalan joined the Bank as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Prior to joining the Bank, he was the Chairman and Managing Director of Bank of India, one of the leading public sector banks in India, from August 2003 to April 2005, and was an executive director of the Union Bank of India immediately prior to joining the Bank of India
Federal Bank is awarded for Best Use of Information Technology in Retail Banking by IBA and Infosys. The runner up status reveals the strength and innovation in technology initiatives.
- First Bank to launch automated telephone bill payment through Interactive Voice Response System (IVR). Bank launched an innovative product 'Fed-e-Pay' for automated payment of utility Bills
- The Bank issued Bonus shares in the ratio of 2:1.
RTGS is enabled in all branches of the Bank and becomes the first bank in India to implement RTGS facility in all the branches. Online Railway Reservation through FedNet launched. The First Kiosk inaugurated at the Marine Drive ( Kochi) branch
Co-branded credit cards launched in association with ICICI Bank
Federal Bank becomes the first traditional bank to network all its branches and attain 100% connectivity
International Debit Cards launched.
- All the 412 branches of the Bank were fully computerised (using FedSoft) as on 31.03.2002
- The Installation of switch for networking all the ATMs, already installed/proposed to be installed, started from 17/08/2002
- Dec 10 2002 Federal Bank introduces FedAlerts, and FedMobile, another first of its kind service among traditional banks in India. Real time transaction alerts across the globe, and customisable options make the service unique
In March 2001, Wide Area Network was launched connecting Regional Offices at Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Ernakulam and Chennai F & I with Head Office
- On 24.1.2000 Bank started Any Where Banking at Bangalore connecting all branches located in the Bangalore metro
- Launched Depository Services in association with NSDL on 24.2.2000
- The Bank has commenced Internet Banking 'FedNet' on 28th April 2000 with software support from Infosys Technologies Ltd
- Federal Millennium CD is released on 18.9.2000
- On 1-1-1999, Shri. K.P.Padmakumar, the Executive Director of the Bank took over the baton from Shri. K Nandan. He thus became the first Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the bank risen from the rank and file
- Bank's 400th branch was inaugurated at Calcutta- Shakespeare Sarani on 19.2.1999. The total business of the bank exceeded Rs.110000 Million as on 31/03/99
Bank's first ATM was inaugurated at Ernakulam North on 27-02-97.
Shri. K Nandan, a veteran banker from State Bank of India took the stewardship on 1-1-1996: The bank had steady growth. The bank's business crossed Rs.100000 Million mark as on 31/3/98 for the first time
Registered 142.44% increase in PAT in FY 94-95.Bank registered a CAGR of 78.13% in PAT during the period 1991-96. Emerged as a perfect banking partner with diverse products, global reach and focus on automation and HRM. Deposits cross Rs.35,000 Million
Tapped the Capital Market with a public issue in March, 1994. The issue oversubscribed by about 60 times. Started Leasing Business
Roped in ICICI group as a shareholder through private placement
Deposits crossed Rs.10,000 Million. Adopted profit sector banking as its slogan
Commenced Merchant Banking Operations
Shri. M.P.K.Nair , a seasoned commercial banker trained in the Union Bank of India assumed the captaincy of the Bank on 1-7-1988 as its Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
The long cherished dream of the Federal Family, the multi-storied administrative building complex was inaugurated by Shri. A Ghosh, Dy. Governor, Reserve Bank of India
In tune with the NIBM recommendation, Personnel and Industrial Relations Department was set up in July, 1985. With the active assistance of Tata Consultancy Service, bank also set up its computer department. A WIPRO computer was installed at our Head Office on July, 1985 paving the way for computerisation of the Bank. Later, a PSI microcomputer was installed at our International Banking Department at Cochin. The first Advanced Ledger Posting Machine (ALPM-a Wipro banker) was installed at Br. Aluva-Bank Junction branch.
As part of the organisation redesigning recommended by National Institute of Bank Management in November, 1984, Bank has introduced Three Tier Organisational Setup with Head Office, Regional Offices and Branches. Agricultural Finance Department was set up in Head Office with technically qualified personnel at central office and field level. Bank's performance in the field of agricultural and priority sector lending improved substantially thereafter.
- Shri. V.K.Syamasundaran after long innings in Reserve Bank of India took over as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Bank as a successor to Mr.V.Verghese on 16/7/83.
- The foundation stone of the multi-storied Administrative Building was laid by the Founder Shri K.P.Hormis on 26-12-83
Mr.V Verghese took over the reigns of the bank as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer on 2/7/1980.Having worked long years in State Bank of Travancore with well established traditions, systems and methods, he placed his faith in introducing time tested and well proven methods of organisation into the Bank
The paid up capital grew from Rs.10.66 Lakhs to Rs.100 Lakhs.
Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 branches 1976. The total number of branches reached 276 from 114 in 1973.
During the period, the bank adopted a massive branch expansion and growth oriented programmes. To reflect the bank's approach towards the Industrial finance it adopted a new emblem -Farmer in action encircled by an industrial wheel.
Witnessed expansion beyond the home state. The Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972.International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973.Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. The International Banking Department was later shifted to Cochin in 1982 as part of consolidation and centralisation of activities
The Bank became a Scheduled Commercial Bank in 1970, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year, since the Bank commenced its operation in Aluva
The Marthandom Commercial Bank Ltd. Trivandrum was amalgamated with the Bank
The St. George Union Bank Ltd. Puthenpally was merged with the Bank
- The Chalakudy Public Bank Ltd., Chalakudy
- The Cochin Union Bank Ltd., Trichur
- The Alleppey Bank Ltd., Alleppey.
The Bank was licensed under Sec.22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11-7-1959. Bank floated several kuries one after another. It also introduced several new deposit schemes. These strategies helped the Bank to grow at a greater pace.
In the Board Meeting held on 24-3-1947, it was resolved to change the name of the Bank as "The Federal Bank Limited". The third branch of the Bank was opened at Perumbavoor on 18-4-1947
The Bank opened its second branch at Angamally on 26-1-1946.
The paid up capital was increased to Rs.71000.The Board of Directors of the Bank was reconstituted in 1945 and fresh Articles of Association adopted. On 18-5-1945, the Regd.Office of the Bank was shifted to Aluva and the Bank commenced business by opening its first branch at Aluva.
Shri K P Hormis ,and his close relatives /friends obtained controlling interest in the Bank.
The Federal Bank Limited (the erstwhile Travancore Federal Bank Limited) was incorporated with an authorised capital of rupees five thousand at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore on 28/4/1931 under the Travancore Company's Act. It started business of auction -chitty and other banking transactions connected with agriculture and industry.The bank though successful in the earlier periods, suffered set backs and was on the verge of liquidation.